Monday, May 2, 2016

Monday Musings

Had an interesting conversation via Facebook with a friend of mine this weekend. 
  
I had posted a spectacular picture of Devil's Nose, the mountain you can see from our front porch and my post was along the lines of: "When we first moved to Tennessee, I was amazed each day by the beauty of the mountains. Our first time driving home from grocery shopping, I asked God to help me never get so used to seeing the views that I forgot how much it made my heart sing those first weeks." 
  
      
Our conversation drifted to how easy it is to see the same thing day in and day out and it becomes something we see but don't really notice. 
  
And I realized that relationships are the same way. We live with someone for years and if we're honest, we start to really focus on the things that bother us. We think about only those things that drive us crazy. All the things we wish they would just do differently. But we lose sight of those things that make them uniquely "them" and drew us into their lives in the first place.
  
So, I've been trying to take each day and tell my husband something I appreciate about him. And if I forget to tell him before he goes to work, I make a mental note of something and think about that while he's gone. 
  
Because if I don't, all it takes is just one thing for me to start putting him down instead of building him up. And my job is to make sure that when life outside the walls of our home drags him down, that he is lifted up when he's here. Life's just too short to major on the minors. 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment