Thursday, July 21, 2016

Luna Moth Challenge

Luna moths are one of those insects that you don't see every day, but they are amazing when you get the chance to find one! I remember seeing them resting on the siding of our house when I was growing up. The pale green color was interesting but the size was always what got our attention.
  
This Allegory Gallery Challenge was inspired by the Luna moth. Lovely shades of green found their way into the beads that were chosen for this challenge.
     
     
As I started to think about what I could create with these beautiful pieces, I decided to keep the Luna moth in mind as much as possible. That meant having an earthy feel to the designs, and so I put away my silver and gold wire and instead took out my copper and bronze wire.
  
   
I decided to start with a double strand necklace and added in some of my own crystal beads to add some sparkle. I used bronze wire and a bronze chain to keep an earthy, BOHO vibe. 
  
   
  Then I created this double strand bracelet, again adding my own crystal beads and bronze wire and chain to the beads from the challenge package.  
   
  There were several pairs of beads that just didn't seem to work with any of my necklace or bracelet designs. And rather than have them sitting on my board, I decided to get started on some earrings. 

I decided against using the bronze wire to create earwires, mostly because I had gold earwires from another project. Earrings are easy to swap with other jewelry and the gold really set off the colors nicely.
    
  
 This set goes great with the double necklace and bracelet. 
   

I wasn't sure what to do with the spotted beads, but they made a fun pair of earrings! 
  

Muted colors can sometime make a big impact!
      
   
 Different shapes and finishes can really add drama to a design!
   
And of course, I had to use the butterfly beads! By adding them below the flowers, they swing and almost look like they are taking flight.
   
   Forest Path Necklace
   
I originally planned to use the wooden beads to create a bracelet, but they just seemed to get lost and didn't have the visual "punch" I was hoping for...so I created this necklace instead. Reminded me of walking through the forest late in the afternoon, when everything was quiet and the sunlight just streamed through the leaves. 
      
   Jade Necklace
   
   I started taking the jade beads off the string when I decided I wanted to make a long necklace with them. I started creating the links with the bronze wire but it was too dark. I didn't want to lose the earthy feel by switching to gold wire. Then I remembered I had copper jump rings! I used them to space the jade links out and it added another color to the design. I choose a large toggle clasp that makes a great focal piece. 
    
     
  That left me with the mystery component. And I have to tell you, I was tempted to make another beaded pendant with it! But I wanted to challenge myself so I told myself I had to so something different with it. Everything I tried just didn't look right...until I realized that I was forgetting my initial inspiration. I wanted to create something earthy but with a bold flair. 
   
       
I added this unique pendant to a multi-strand black necklace and fell in love with the design! 
   
  
To my surprise, I didn't use the seed beads or any beading techniques in this challenge. I have some ideas floating around in my head, though. Just need to find a couple pieces to make it all work. 

Please take some time to head over to the Allegory Gallery Design Facebook page to see how the other artists used these same pieces to create their own jewelry! 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Pieces, I see you enjoyed this kit as much as I did. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like all the pieces you created. You definitely achieved that earthy feeling you were going for. I especially love the jade chip beads with that great focal claps. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete