Saturday, March 26, 2016

Traditions

Traditions are important to keep a family together. I learned all about keeping traditions from my grandmother. There were things we did each and every holiday, from using a certain set of plates to putting out the special salt and pepper shakers that matched the decorations.
  
I guess that's part of what has been hard the past few years. My parents died five years ago and Granny died two and a half years ago. My daughter is 19 and we are living 600 miles from my family and almost 1000 miles from my husband's family. So all of the traditions that were part of my life are no longer there. 
  
Take this Easter, for example. My husband's job has him working midnights this weekend and my daughter and her boyfriend have to work Easter Sunday. If they are (hopefully) able to make it to church with me, there won't be time for me to make a traditional dinner. 
  
We looked at having it earlier in the week, and even tried to have it sometime next week, but to get my husband, daughter and her boyfriend all here at the same time just isn't possible. So I decided to get creative.
  
Out went the plans for the Easter ham and my Granny's macaroni and cheese recipe. Her broccoli casserole. Deviled eggs. Chocolate cake with homemade icing. 

Instead, I needed to find something that could be cooked in one pan and ready in less than an hour. So, out came the lasagna recipe. (My recipe, because Granny didn't really like Italian.) 

Definitely not what I was looking forward to making this year. But the four of us will be able to sit down for a few precious minutes before they have to scatter...and that is the tradition I will always treasure. 




2 comments:

  1. I think ya got it. Granny would be proud.what I said a few years ago, you are the granny so to speak now. Love is what counts and if it's lasagna, bologna sandwiches or whatever if y'all are together, mission accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! We're in the same boat. Schedules are crazy and to find a day/time when we all can be home for the same meal is almost impossible! So yes, traditions do need to change and new ones created. That's what being in a family is all about... it's not about the specifics, it's the things you can come up with that bring you all together. That may even change from year to year, but the tradition is that you find a way to all be together. Heck, maybe the change every year IS the new tradition! LOL

    ReplyDelete