Thursday, April 21, 2016

Hidden Cove Challenge

I have to admit it...I love blog hops! They give me an acceptable excuse to be spending time on the computer. And I love to see the creativity that comes with a beading challenge like this. 

If you've never participated in blog hop or have never hear of one, let me tell you all about it. We all receive the same package of beads and beading supplies. We can use whatever other supplies we happen to have on hand. And then we create some amazing and stunning pieces of jewelry with those supplies, take pictures of them and then share them with the world! 

I happened to stumble across Allegory Gallery several months ago and fell in love with them. Periodically, they offer a hand-picked selection of beads and beading supplies that coordinates with a particular theme and I was lucky enough to find them in time for their Hidden Cove Challenge. 
   
     
I guess you could say I cheated when I decided to participate in the Hidden Cove challenge. Water colors are part of my "go-to" bag whenever I'm feeling a bit lost in my creative zone. But nothing ventured, nothing gained as the saying goes. 
   
  
Take a look at all these amazing and beautiful pieces we received! And as if this wasn't enough...there was a mystery component as well! 
  
  
I had to start with the surprise pendant, which is a polymer clay piece with metallic ink and paint washes. I played around with using it just as it was for a necklace, but I couldn't get the idea of using it as a focal for a beaded pendant out of my mind. 
  
I used three sizes of seed beads in shades of turquoise, metallic aqua and gold to create the bezel and design around the mermaid. The pendant is finished with ultrasuade, an ecofriendly alternative to leather. I put it on a necklace made of leather and bronze chain for a boho feel. 
    

 My next design was quite the challenge. I wanted to use the seed beads that were part of the kit, but they were all different sizes and shades of blue. Pulling out white glass pearls from my stash, I sketched a design that felt like waves. I found the large orange beads while looking through my beads and decided to use colors that were more like a sunset instead of sand. The finished piece is a work of art, using about 2000 beads to create it. 
  


I decided to take a break from beading and jumped right into wire work. I started with the Dalmatian jasper and used only pieces from the kit to make this fun bracelet. 
  
  
There were carved pieces of Dalmatian jasper in the kit as well. I paired them with some of the frosted glass and faceted Czech beads to create this fun pair of earrings. 
  

I have to make a comment here...there is a HUGE distinction between authentic sea glass and man-made frosted glass. I collect and work with genuine sea glass and while the frosted glass is beautiful, it is not sea glass. And that is another post for another time.

I decided to dig out my soutache and made this fun pair of earrings with the blue beads from the kit. 
  

I had several pieces from the kit separated to use for a necklace tried to make something that was asymmetrical. But it just isn't naturally in my nature and after several attempts, I created this fun (symmetrical) necklace. 
  
   
I was looking at the wooden beads and decided they would make a great pair of earrings.   
  
  
There were a couple of blue beads that had white swirls and spots that reminded me of the nighttime sky at the beach. I added some Swarovski crystals and Czech beads as well as some of the flat beads from the kit for another pair of earrings. 
  

There were some aqua glass chips that caught my eye the next time I pulled the kit out and I just added them to a fun gold chain to make a charm bracelet. 
  
  
And finally, I decided to use the last three pieces of frosted glass for a pendant. I added Czech beads and Swarovski crystals for a bit of sparkle. 
  
  
I still have a few pieces from the kit that I haven't used...mostly because I'm still working on the design in my head. Sometimes it takes a while for it to all come together. 
  
I want to invite you to check out the Allegory Gallery Design Challenge facebook page where you can find links to everyone's blogs who participated in this challenge. There are some amazing pieces out there! 

These pieces will be available in my shop Whispering Mountain Designs soon!



13 comments:

  1. Fun post, Beautiful pieces, Stunning Bracelet. I luv how you identified the materials. I did not know the Jasper was Dalmation. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! I've worked with the Dalmatian Jasper before...it's not a flashy stone but it works well in designs.

      Delete
  2. Wow!! You created a whole collection! Every piece is beautiful, but I absolutely love the bracelet, the colors are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karin! The beading pieces take so long to complete, but they are always a wearable work of art!

      Delete
  3. You were really inspired! You made so many wonderful pieces in all different styles. I'm impressed. I absolutely love the bead woven bracelet. I love how it is so happy and looks like water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I tried to use different techniques and I always try to either teach myself something new or dust off something I haven't used in a long time for a challenge like this. Using soutache is a skill that definitely gets easier with practice.

      Delete
  4. one word. Soutache. LOVE IT! I need to try but it seems to need a WHOLE LOT of materials to make nice work like yours! My favorite piece is the dalmation jasper bracelet. I love how you made those colors just flow perfectly together!!
    Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, thank you for the kind words! That bracelet is one of my favorites as well. The colors are perfect for all year long. If you have any sewing experience, soutache will be easier than it looks. I have a book by Amee K Sweet-McNamara, "Soutache and Bead Embroidery" that shows the basics, step by step. If you do any type of beadwork, you'll have a lot of what you need already on hand. Be sure to send me pictures when you make something!

      Delete
  5. Hi Cindy,

    You sure got a lot of mileage out of the kit and really made some magic. I really love all the different earring variations you came up with but I am always partial to bead embroidery and just love you how accented Andrew's mystery component with the lovely bezel surround. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paula! I have definitely been bitten by the "beading bug!" The mermaid necklace is one of my favorites as well.

      Delete
  6. Whoa! Not only is your cover pic amazing on the reveal page, I am super glad I clicked on the blog link!
    Oh my gosh!!!! You are amazing.
    The seed bead bracelet is ab fab!!!!!!!
    As are all of your pieces.
    I hope you are playing along next month, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Laurel! Having seed beads as part of the kit was so much fun! I'm hoping to be able to get the next kit soon!

      Delete
  7. Holy smokes! You made a wonderful collection from the kit! Great job! I'm so glad that you were able to participating! Thank you! I love how you were able to enhance the pendant with your seed bead frame. It brings in more color and really showcases it nicely! And I also like your symmetrical wire-wrapped link necklace. It has an easy elegance to it, which is easier said than done! Great job!

    ReplyDelete